Frequently Asked Questions

Family Law FAQs

If your divorce is uncontested (meaning both parties agree to the divorce, the division of property and debts, and the parenting issues if children are involved), then all that is needed is to file the divorce complaint, a marital dissolution, and parenting plan (if necessary).


If contested, the Plaintiff must file for the divorce complaint and have it served on the Defendant.  The Defendant will have an opportunity to respond and we will Hproceed from their, either by going to trial or settling the matter in mediation.  After mediation or trial, a divorce decree will be issued

If there are no children born during the marriage or other circumstances involving children, then it will take a minimum of sixty (60) days to get a divorce.


If there are children, then it will take a minimum of ninety (90) days to get a divorce.

Yes you can still get a divorce.  We will have to proceed just like a contested issue.

Generally speaking, you have no choice if children are involved.  In the State of TN, a child born during the marriage is presumed to be your spouse’s child.  Therefore, the Judge or Chancellor will likely award child support absent other circumstances.  Child support is for the benefit of the children.

Schedule a Consultation Today

Scroll to Top